August 8, 2017
Decatur Middle School Families,
I am excited to announce that we are going to provide a safe and convenient way to ensure that a majority of our student-athletes are able to take advantage (and reap the benefits) of our athletic enhancement program. Brad Rose, Director of Health and Wellness for Decatur Township Schools, Justin Dixson, Director of Athletics, and Kevin Kavanaugh, DCHS Strength and Conditioning Coach, have been working diligently to make this a priority for our middle school athletes. Our mission at the middle school level is to prepare our kids to be Decatur Central Hawks, academically and athletically. This program will help us work to achieve our goals as an athletic program. Our athletic enhancement program will focus on strength, flexibility, speed, agility, balance, proper nutrition, and health and wellness education.
Logistics are as followed:
- Students MUST have a current physical and proper paperwork on file.
- Students must sign into Club Phoenix with Mr. Evans directly after school. After the athletic enhancement program is over, the students that are not currently in a sport will come back to Club Phoenix for study time/snack.
- Evans will walk the students over to Mr. Kavanaugh at 2:50. The students that are not going straight to practice will come back around 3:45 to DMS for Club Phoenix. They will be watched walking from the high school to meet our Club Phoenix directors at Door 6 West.
- Boys will go to the program on Mondays and Wednesdays. Girls will go to the program on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- The first day that we will start will be Wednesday, August 16th with the boys.
I hope that you will encourage your son/daughter to participate in the athletic enhancement program. We believe this educational training program is crucial for the development of our kids as they work to grow as student-athletes. I encourage you to contact me with any questions that you may have.
Mark C. Evans
Decatur Middle School